Wednesday, March 4, 2009



Indian food is quite different to what you get in Ireland, or in England. Which is really what you should expect, the Irish palette is ‘slightly’ different to the Indian. Where to start… let’s count them
1) Spices – pretty obvious, Indians love their spice. If it doesn’t have Masala in it, it’s not real food. In fact, Masala just means curry, which the way Indian food is branded you wouldn’t think it. One of the reasons is that food here is a little less wholesome than Ireland, less fresh. Though I don’t think that’s a very good argument, I’ve had very fresh food in India (a little too fresh if you get what I mean) and they still spice it up. Another is that spicey food makes you sweat which cools you down, handy in hot countries. Not really that sure on it. Never particularly noticed it until I heard Jamie Oliver mention it. I suppose if HE says it, it must be true. My opinion is that Indians just have access to a lot more spices than Irish people, and ease of access increases usage. True story though, once I cooked for all Gayle’s family, and two funny things happened. Firstly, Gayle’s mum Hyacinth (and Gayle too) kept putting salt and pepper in whenever my back was turned, and secondly is when the maid, Pushpa came to see what was cooking and of course asked me what Masala we were using. When I said “No Masala!” she actually was horrified and left the kitchen muttering and shaking her head!


2) Method of eating/preparation – This one caught me out when I first came here, though now I love it and it’s second nature to me. In preparation most Indians will do two or three different dishes and you pick and mix from that what you want. The next one was that Indians eat with their hands. It’s not bad manners or disgusting to pick up your hunk of chicken and start picking at it. Or mush up your rice with your hands and mix it up with some dal (basic Indian curry) and put it into your hands (using one hand at all times). Then finally you push the food in with your thumb from your fingers, MMmmmm and satisfying. They do use forks and knives though, and spoons are used for soup. Hands are so inefficient for soup collection.

3) Naan – this deserves a special section for itself. I do not know where we got our Naan from….I’ve never seen it’s like in India. Naan in India is a very thick bready affair not a soft sweet blob like in Ireland (though I do love Irish Naan).
4) Rice – Not every dish comes with Rice! Okay. Just like sometimes, we in Ireland do not eat potatoes Indians pick and mix their carbs. Normally it’s a choice or Rice, Chapati (like burrito rolls only smaller) and Naan. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen look at me and laugh as I eat Naan, dal and rice!
5) Meat/Vegetarianism – Being a meat eater in India puts you in a minority. Hindus are Vegetarians by religion so meat is actually not that big here. In fact, the way we have vegetarian sections at the back of our menu, Indian menus have Non-veg sections. That’s not to say meat is lacking here. They eat a whole lot of meat, the ones that allow themselves to. And it’s funny but here if you’re a Non-veg you are a NON-VEG. You don’t eat vegetarian stuff. Not out of dislike, more like a “I can have so I am going to have it” attitude. I don’t know how many times people have re-asked me what I want to eat because I choose the Vegetarian option. Also, meat here is boney, as that is the juicier part of the meat. Boneless meat, I think is boring for most. “Where’s the fun in it?” I suppose they must ask. Many’s a time I’ve seen Indians clean a bone so well you’d think it was cleaned. We waste so much meat in comparison.
6) Em.. what else? Desserts are desserts in India. Different though the same appreciation as Ireland.

Going to leave it at that. Really the only way to experience Indian food is in India, with your hands.



.......who's hungry?